In 21st century technology, the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is becoming commonplace. A VPN can be used to keep anonymous and secure your online activity, as well as to stream geo-blocked content.
Oh, and if you’re new to the VPN world, look at how our VPN explainer can help you. In our best VPN round-up, we also share 10 of our favorites.
It is important to note that in this article we describe how to access geo-blocked video content such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Crunchyroll on your Apple TV using one particular feature of your VPN subscription.
Why would I use a VPN on my Apple TV?
Before we explain how to set up a VPN on your Apple TV, let’s first explain why you would like to use a VPN and the downsides.
First and foremost, providing users with network anonymity is the main use of a VPN, but in the case of Apple TV and other streaming devices, it is used to access geo-blocked video content from other countries – it is often a desire to access US Netflix in the UK.
And yes, despite Netflix cracking down on VPN use, it is still possible, although it is warned against Netflix terms and conditions and the company is entitled to suspend your service.
Whatever your reasons, the good news is that setting up and using a VPN on your Apple TV is possible – and frankly not that difficult.
How to use a VPN on Apple TV
Now you understand why it can be useful to use a VPN on an Apple TV, it’s time to explain how to set it up. Generally speaking, the process is the same across all VPN providers, but here we will use ExpressVPN as an example as one of our favorites.
- Get the DNS server IP of your VPN from your VPN provider. Some providers, such as ExpressVPN, provide a list of VPN-compatible devices and DNS settings for each of them, making it easy to find the devices you are looking for (in this case, Apple TV).
2. Go to Settings > General > Apple TV Language on your Apple TV and change your iTunes store location to your VPN location. Select the United States if you are using ExpressVPN.
3. Go to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi on your Apple TV and choose your Wi-Fi connection. Select Configure DNS from here and switch it from Automatic to Manual.
4. Once you have manually changed your DNS, enter your VPN’s DNS server IP and select Done.
5. To apply the changes, restart your Apple TV.
Now you should use a VPN on your Apple TV and be able to access your chosen country’s content! If, in connection with your VPN,
you are unable to access your favorite services for any reason, contact your VPN provider for support.
best VPNs for Apple TV:
Our # 1 choice for Apple TV. Combined with ease of use, super fast servers in more than 90 countries make them an idea for streaming. Includes a money-back guarantee of 30 days.
Great cost effective VPN with strong privacy and security features. Works with the most popular services of streaming.
A selection of fast servers, no logs, and secure.
Leads with high safety and fast speeds, but does not allow torrenting.
Growingly popular fast-speed service. Could be more servers.
Unblocks streaming sites such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and Hulu and allows for an unlimited number of connections at the same time.